Warning: Use of undefined constant MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_128 - assumed 'MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_128' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/oshovisiontreks.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/includes/fields/class-gf-field-captcha.php on line 371
Nepal has trekking routes and destinations that cater to all individuals. Treks in Nepal range from the short and easy to moderate treks to long and strenuous treks.
There are a number of short treks in Nepal that meets the demand of many trekkers who have limited days to spend trekking in Nepal.
Below are some of the best short treks in Nepal. It includes low altitude as well as high altitude short treks in parts of Nepal.
- 1. Short Annapurna Base Camp Trek : 7 Days
- 2. Helambu Trek : 7-9 Days
- 3. Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek : 4-7 Days
- 4. Chisapani- Nagarkot Trek: 3-7 Days
- 5. Dhampus Village Trek: 5-10 Days
- 6. Everest Panorama Trek : 7-9 Days
- 7. Rara Lake Trek: 8-12 Days
- 8. Royal Trek : 8-12 Days
- What is the Duration of Short Treks in Nepal?
- Best Time for Short Treks in Nepal
- Tips for Short Treks in Nepal
- Final Say
1. Short Annapurna Base Camp Trek : 7 Days
Max. Elevation: Annapurna Base Camp- 4130m
Duration: 7 days
Permits: TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System), ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area entry Permit)
Accommodation: Guesthouses, tea houses, lodges, homestays
The short Annapurna Base Camp trek is for the time-bound yet adventurous trekker.
On this trek, you reach two Base Camps in one trip- Machapuchare and Annapurna Base Camp trek.
It is in the top 3 of the most famous trekking destinations of Nepal. You get close views of Mt. Annapurna I, II, III, IV, Mt. Annapurna South, Mt. Machhapuchhre, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Nilgiri, Mt. Hiunchuli, and Lamjung Himal range.
- Magnificent views of beautiful Himalayan peaks
- Two Base Camps in One
- Trek via dense forests of oak, bamboo, and rhododendron
- Quaint, traditional and beautiful villages
- Natural hot spring at Jhinu Danda
2. Helambu Trek : 7-9 Days
Max. Elevation: Thadepati- 3650m
Duration: 7-9 days
Permit: TIMS, Langtang Regional Area Permit
Accommodation: Tea houses
Helambu Trek takes you to the less trekked, remote and beautiful region of Langtang.
It is one of the best short treks of Nepal. This perfect trek gives you a glimpse of the rich unspoiled landscape and culture of Langtang.
It also offers a magnificent view of the Himalayas, amazing waterfalls, diverse flora and fauna.
- Vibrant Tibetan Buddhists culture of the dominant Sherpa and Tamang communities.
- Perfect trek for novice and beginners.
- Doable all year round
- Most accessible trekking routes
- Observe rich flora and fauna of Shivapuri and Langtang National Park
- Amazing views of Langtang peaks, Gosaikunda peaks. You will also get views of Ganesh Himal, Jugal Himal, Rolwaling and other surrounding peaks.
- Beautiful, unspoiled and traditional villages of Chispani, Kutumsang, Thadepati, and Sermathang
- Local Cheese factory and oldest Buddhist Monastery in Kyanjin Gompa
3. Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek : 4-7 Days
Max. Elevation: Poon Hill- 3200m
Duration: 4-7 days
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Permits: ACAP, TIMS
Accommodation: Guesthouses, tea houses, homestays
This is a professional and specially designed trek. As the name suggests, it provides the best sunrise views over the Annapurna ranges. It offers the amazing Himalaya trekking experience with no hassles of altitude sickness.
This trek is also known as Annapurna Panorama Trek. You will get a panoramic view of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges.
- Ghorepani, PoonHill, and Ulleri
- The beautiful and quaint village of Ghandruk
- Amazing sunrises and sunsets
- Encounter with the Gurung and Magar locals in the patches of villages
- Views of Annapurna I, II, III, IV, and South. You can also view Nilgiri and Mount Dhaulagiri along the trek
4. Chisapani- Nagarkot Trek: 3-7 Days
Max. Elevation: Nagarkot- 2175 m
Duration: 3-7 days
Accommodation: Hotels, resorts, lodges
Trek Permits: Shivapuri National Park Entry fee
Chisapani- Nagarkot trek is one of the popular treks around the Kathmandu valley. Accessible, easy and short, it is perfect for all who are on a time limit and want to indulge in a multi-day walk.
En route, you walk through the evergreen hardwood forests and amazing hillocks. It is also perfect for those who are prone to high altitudes.
- Exotic rivers and waterfalls
- Diverse flora and fauna
- Spectacular sunrise view
- Cultural tour of the valley
- 360-degree view of Kathmandu Valley
- Countryside settlements of the local villagers
- Moderate climate.
5. Dhampus Village Trek: 5-10 Days
Max. Elevation: 1,700 meters
Duration: 5-10 days
Dhampus Village is a particular viewpoint in the Annapurna region. It is a popular short trek to the foothills of scenic mountains. You get fabulous views of Pokhara valley, World Peace Stupa, and the beautiful Fewa lake.
You also pass through the exotic landscapes and get amazing views of the villages.
- Spectacular sunrise/sunset views
- A chance to get to know the local lifestyle and culture of the village
- A glimpse of and chance to take part in unique Gurung cultural activities
- Mountain views
6. Everest Panorama Trek : 7-9 Days
Max. Elevation: Everest View Hotel- 3962m
Duration: 7-9 days
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Permits: TIMS, Local Entry Permit
Accommodation: Guesthouses, lodges, tea houses
This trek is a perfect introduction to treks in the Everest Region. You will follow the footsteps of early mountaineers with epic views of some of the highest mountains in the world.
Everest Panorama Trek is perfect for those looking for an easy and short trek in the Everest region. It takes you to the famous Tengboche Monastery via Namche Bazaar.
Though a short trek, it still offers beautiful mountain sceneries, diverse culture, and tricky trails. Doable throughout the year, you get the wild and adventurous Himalaya trekking experience.
- Scenic mountain flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
- Breathtaking views of Mt. Everest and other high mountain peaks
- Sagarmatha National Park- You will trek through the world’s highest national park
- Namche Bazaar: You have a day to explore the world’s highest trade market
- A glimpse into the rich and famous Sherpa culture
7. Rara Lake Trek: 8-12 Days
Max Elevation: 3450m
Duration: 8-12 days
Accommodation: Camping, Teahouse
Required Permits: TIMS
On this journey, you will walk to the largest lake in Nepal. You will walk through some of the most remote places of Nepal – Karnali region.
It is an ideal short trek for individuals seeking thrill and off the road trails. You will see very few to no other trekkers in the region.
During the trek, the lush green forests of pine, spruce, juniper will surround you. This range is also home to diverse fauna including endangered Red panda, black bear, and leopards.
- Rara Lake
- Thakuri Baba Temple
- Remote, traditional villages of Jumla and Mugu districts of Nepal
- Look into the lifestyle and culture of the remote, rural parts of Nepal
- Bird watching: More species of birds than most national parks of Nepal
- Rustic terrains of Trans-Himalayan mountains
8. Royal Trek : 8-12 Days
Max. Elevation: Syanklung- 1730m
Duration: 8-12 Days
Permits: TIMS, ACAP
Accommodation: Guesthouses, tea houses, homestays
As the name suggests, you will follow the path discovered by His Highness Prince Charles in the ’80s. It is also the route used by Nepal’s royal family.
Royal Trek goes through beautiful Gurung settlements and terraced farms. You can also witness many species of flora and fauna. An excellent trek for nature lovers, keen botanists, and researchers.
You also get an astonishing view of the sun rising over the Himalayas.
- A spectacular vista of snow clad Himalayas. You can see Mt. Annapurna, Manaslu, and distinct Machhapuchhre (Fishtail).
- Variation of communities from Gurung, Magar, Brahmin, to Kamis, Chhetri, Vaishya, Shudras.
- Hindu temples and Buddhist Stupas
- A close look into the local, Rural lifestyle and traditional farming system
Here are the best short treks in Nepal:
- Short Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Helambu Trek
- Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek
- Chisapani- Nagarkot Trek
- Dhampus Village Trek
- Everest Panorama Trek
- Rara Lake Trek
- Royal Trek
What is the Duration of Short Treks in Nepal?
Any multi-day hike that lasts between 3 days to 10 days is a short trek, in general. This includes all grade levels (easy to difficult) treks that you can do within the 10 days time frame.
Note: Some itineraries for the difficult treks can show longer durations. Yet, you can adjust the duration to suit the short trek time frame.
Best Time for Short Treks in Nepal
The best season to do short treks in Nepal is the local spring and autumn season. These seasons provide stable weather conditions and moderate temperatures.
The local autumn months of September-November offer clear blue skies and cool temperatures. These can be perfect to enjoy the sceneries and mountain views and the walks.
The local spring months of March-May is perfect for the nature lovers. With blossoms of the local flora, you can enjoy your trek while passing colorful forests and vegetation.
Tips for Short Treks in Nepal
- You can buy the permits in Kathmandu from Nepal Tourism Board.
- Do not skip the acclimatization days to further shorten the duration of the trek. The acclimatization days give your body time to adjust to the changing altitudes. You may increase the risk of altitude sickness by skipping them.
- For most treks in Nepal, you can choose to adjust the duration to suit your needs. Make sure you are physically and mentally prepared for the treks.
- Allow a day or two for preparing your documents, flight delays, cancellations. You should also prepare for road delays (ongoing construction work, traffic).
- For an in-depth cultural experience on the treks, you can time your trek during one of the local festivals of the region.
During your short treks in Nepal, you can choose to do different things. The short treks are a perfect introduction for treks in Nepal. They are also great to satiate your trek cravings.
You can adjust most of the treks and tours in Nepal to your liking and needs.